There is nothing better than teaching a child to love themselves for who they are and make them proud of their beauty, on the inside and outside.
We at WatchTheYard.com have compiled a list of 10 award-winning books that teach little girls to love their curly natural hair. All of these books feature African-American girls with natural hair as the main characters and are amazing at helping little girls understand how special and beautiful their curls are.
Whether you are buying these books for your personal library, gifting them to a relative or friend’s children, or bringing them to school, these books will be sure to make that special little girls day!
But before you see the gallery of books, check out these statistics on reading:
- The more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency, according to the Educational Testing Service.
- Twenty-six percent of children who were read to three or four times in the last week by a family member recognized all letters of the alphabet. This is compared to 14 percent of children who were read to less frequently.
- The NCES1 also reported that children who were read to frequently are also more likely to:
- count to 20, or higher than those who were not (60% vs. 44%)
- write their own names (54% vs. 40%)
- read or pretend to read (77% vs. 57%)
Check out our suggested list of books by clicking on the arrows below!
“Caldecott Honor winner Rachel Isadora’s gorgeous collages breathe new life into this classic tale, capturing Rapunzel’s striking beauty and the lush African setting a new home for this story with wonderful details such as Rapunzel’s long dreadlocks and the prince’s noble steed, a zebra. Readers will delight in the vibrant illustrations, thrill at the appearances of the frightening sorceress, and chime in with the familiar line “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair,” as they follow this well-loved tale.”